Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of those links, I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting my blog!
A hug is a wonderful thing. It’s a marvelous gift to share. It’s a grand way to say: ‘I care.’ A hug communicates support, security, affection, unity, and belonging. A hug shows compassion. A hug brings delight. A hug charms the senses. A hug touches the soul.Unkown
The Wrapping Hugs Shawl is a free triangular shawl crochet pattern. It is worked from the center top out, and it uses a combination of the double crochet (dc) stitch and a special stitch called the “bead stitch,” which is worked by wrapping yarn around a dc post.
If you have been following me on social media, you know that anything that goes around the neck and shoulders has a special meaning to me. It represents a hug and that no matter what we go through in life, we are not alone. This past year has been a tough one due to the pandemic and the impossibility to gather with family and friends for safety reasons. But I find sending and receiving a handmade shawl, wrap, or scarf comforting because it is like being wrapped in a warm cozy hug and being told that we are still loved and supported, even though we can’t see each other for now.
The Wrapping Hugs Shawl uses a simple pattern repeat of 1 row of bead stitch and 3 rows of double crochet. You can make this shawl in any size simply by adding or subtracting rows. Even though meeting gauge is not essential for this pattern, I still recommend that you make a swatch to see how you like the crocheted fabric’s drape.
This pattern calls for the Lion Brand Mandala yarn, one of my favorite yarns for making shawls! This yarn is categorized as DK #3, which makes it ideal for spring/early fall makes! It is also a long self-striping yarn, which means that you get beautiful color changes without having to weave in all those ends!
The Wrapping Hugs Shawl can be made with worsted weight and bulky yarn as well. The PDF VERSION of this pattern will give you detailed suggestions of the yarn and hook needed for each version, as well as a stitch count table per row to guide you along the way.
PIN IT FOR LATER
WRAPPING HUGS SHAWL – FREE CROCHET PATTERN
- Lion Brand Mandala in Warlock (this is a #3 DK acrylic yarn; 150g/5.3oz, 540m/590yds per cake)
- Approx. 897 yds (including tassels)
- 5.5mm crochet hook
- Yarn needle
- Stitch markers
- 4” Tassel maker (optional)
- Blocking mats and pins
- 4” x 4” = 12 dc x 7 rows
- Approx. 26.5” (L) x 70” (W)
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- rem – remaining
- sc – single crochet
- sk – skip
- st/sts – stitch/stitches
- yo – yarn over
- Standard US Crochet Terms
- Advanced Beginner
- Bead Stitch: Dc in the designated st, *yo, insert hook behind the dc post from right to left, yo, pull up a loop*, repeat * to * 2 more times (7 loops on hook), yo, pull through 6 loops (2 loops on hook), yo, pull through rem 2 loops.
- This is a triangular shawl worked from the center top out.
- Meeting gauge is not essential for this pattern. However, I suggest that you make a swatch to see how you like the crocheted fabric’s drape.
- This pattern is written for DK #3 yarn. However, you can also make this shawl with worsted weight #4 or bulky #5 yarn. The shawl with DK yarn would be more suitable for spring/early fall. The shawl with worsted weight/bulky yarn would be more suitable for late fall/winter. Purchase the PDF VERSION of this pattern for detailed suggestions of the yarn and hook needed for each yarn category.
- If you are substituting yarn and/or hook size, please know that the suggested yardage, measurements, and row count may differ.
- Each row of this shawl increases by 6 stitches. Purchase the PDF VERSION of this pattern for a detailed Stitch Count Table to help you keep track of the number of stitches per row.
- Ch 3 and turn at the end of each row.
- Ch 3 at the beginning of each row DOES count as a stitch.
- Make this shawl in any size simply by adding or subtracting rows. The pattern repeat of this shawl is 1 row of bead st + 3 rows of dc.
- If you are making adjustments to the pattern, I recommend that the width of the shawl be at least the width of your arm span (fingertip to fingertip) or 2-4 inches wider. You can end the shawl with 1 row of bead st or 3 rows of dc.
- The last row of sc is optional.
- Adding tassels is also optional.
Ch 4, sl st to first ch to form a ring.
Row 1: Ch 3, 2 dc into the ring, ch 2, 3 dc into the ring (6 dc + 1 ch 2 sp), ch 3, turn.
Row 2: 2 dc into the same st as ch 3, dc in each st across until the ch 2 sp, [dc, ch 2, dc] into ch 2 sp, dc in each st across until 1 st rem, 3 dc in last st (12 dc + 1 ch 2 sp), ch 3, turn.
Rows 3-5: Repeat Row 2.
Row 6: Bead st into the same st as ch 3, *bead st in the next st, sk 1*, repeat * to * until ch 2 sp, [dc, ch 2, dc] into ch 2 sp, *bead st in the next st, sk 1*, repeat * to * until 1 st rem, bead st in the last st, dc in the same last st (4 dc, 16 bead st, 1 ch 2 sp), ch 3, turn.
Rows 7-9: Repeat Row 2.
Rows 10-41: Repeat Rows 6-9 (1 row of bead st + 3 rows of dc). Note: Add or subtract this pattern repeat for a longer or shorter shawl.
Row 42 (optional): Ch 1 (does not count as a st), turn. Sc in each st across until ch 2 sp, 3 sc in ch 2 sp, sc across until last st. Fasten off. Weave in ends.
Purchase the PDF VERSION of this pattern for detailed pictures of stitch placement.
- Blocking the finished shawl is recommended.
- Attached one 4” tassel on each end of the shawl (optional).
- Congratulations! Your shawl is done!
This pattern and associated images are copyright protected and the sole property of Haven Crochet Designs. The pattern is for personal use only and may not be redistributed, transferred, or sold. Please do not alter the pattern in order to claim it as your own. Items produced from my patterns may be sold at your discretion. However, I kindly ask that you credit me as the designer and provide a link back to my site www.havencrohetdesigns.com, or provide my social media handle @havencrochetdesigns. For more details, see Terms and Conditions.