“Missing someone gets easier every day because even though you are one day further from the last time you saw them, you are one day closer to the next time you will.”– Anonymous
The Miss You Chinese Wall Hanging crochet pattern was created during the COVID-19 outbreak. A time when my family in Argentina couldn’t visit me and I couldn’t visit them. I never thought how much I would miss being around my family and my home country until I left.
The hardest thing of being away from family is that you miss out on a lot of life moments… In these 13 years that I have been in the US, I missed out on my sister’s graduation… I missed out on my parents moving to a new house… I missed out on my sister’s pregnancy and the birth of my nephew and niece… I missed out on just being there for my family when they needed a shoulder to lean on… In short, I missed out on their everyday life, with everything that a life entail…
Meaning of the Chinese Character 念
The Chinese character 念 (niàn) is made up of two components: 心 meaning “heart” or “mind,” and “今” meaning “now” or “current.” Therefore, 念 means “the current thoughts and emotions in one’s heart.” Ancient people believed that people’s thoughts and emotions were constantly changing, and the character “念” was used to express these changing thoughts and emotions in written form.
As Chinese characters developed over time, the meaning of “念” expanded beyond expressing thoughts and emotions to include memory, contemplation, nostalgia, and reading. For example, “念書” means “to study,” and “懷念” means “to remember with nostalgia.”
PIN IT FOR LATER
The Miss You Chinese Wall Hanging is an advanced beginner tapestry crochet pattern. The pattern guides you step by step through tapestry crochet with clear written instructions, pictures, and video tutorials.
If this is your first time coming across a tapestry crochet project, I have a series of Tapestry Crochet Tutorial that I would suggest you check out before you start this project. The tutorial provides simple patterns for you to practice as well. The type of tapestry crochet that I used for the Hope Chinese Wall Hanging is the one that I called Two-Directional Flat Tapestry Crochet.
To work on this pattern, you will need:
- Miss You Chinese Wall Hanging crochet pattern by Haven Crochet Designs
- Caron One Pound yarn (this is a thicker #4 worsted weight yarn; 454g/16oz, 742m/812yds per ball)
- Main Color – approx. 224 yds
- Contrast Color – approx. 88 yds
- 5mm crochet hook
- Yarn needle
- (1) 3/16” x 18” wood dowel
- (1) 3/8” x 24” wood dowel
- Blocking mat, pins, spray bottle with water
The finished project measures approximately 19” x 19” (without top dowel).
- Feel free to use a 4mm crochet hook if you wish the end product to be a bit smaller. Using a smaller crochet hook is a good alternative for tapestry crochet beginners.
- If you follow the pattern instructions as it is, you can easily convert the wall hanging into a pillowcase by crocheting a back panel and stitching the two panels together. It should fit a 20″ x 20″ pillow insert without a problem.
This pattern and associated images are copyright protected and the sole property of Haven Crochet Designs. The pattern is for personal use only and may not be redistributed, transferred, or sold. Please do not alter the pattern in order to claim it as your own. Items produced from my patterns may be sold at your discretion. However, I kindly ask that you credit me as the designer and provide a link back to my site www.havencrohetdesigns.com, or provide my social media handle @havencrochetdesigns. For more details, see Terms and Conditions.