Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark.Rabindranath Tagore
The Faith Wall Hanging crochet pattern was my first Chinese calligraphy crochet pattern ever and with it I launched Haven Crochet Designs. At the time, I was in love with the tapestry crochet technique and thought that it would be cool to blend my Chinese upbringing with crochet.
Those of you who follow me on social media probably know that I have a language background and that I like to read. I used to worked as a translator before becoming a stay-at-home-mom, and right now I am pursuing a Medical Interpreter/Translator career. So naturally, words in the form of art are part of my daily life, and when I decided to start this crochet side hustle, crocheting words was something that I almost did instinctively.
The Chinese character 信 (xin) actually have several meanings. It can mean faith, trust or believe. I chose “faith” as the translation of this character because I had two other patterns in mind and together they would make the Faith, Hope, Love Crochet Wall Hangings.
The Faith Wall Hanging is available for FREE when you sign up for my newsletter, or you can purchase the pattern at a discounted price here. The Hope and Love wall hangings can be purchased separately on both my Etsy or Ravelry shops. Alternatively, you can purchase all three patterns together at a discounted price by clicking here.
PIN IT FOR LATER
The Faith Wall Hanging is an advanced beginner tapestry crochet pattern. The FREE pattern guides you step by step through tapestry crochet with clear written instructions, pictures and video tutorials.
If this is your first time coming across a tapestry crochet project, I have a series of Tapestry Crochet Tutorial that I would suggest you check out before you start this project. The tutorial provides simple patterns for you to practice as well. The type of tapestry crochet that I used for the Faith Wall Hanging is the one that I called Two-Directional Flat Tapestry Crochet.
To work on this pattern you will need:
- Faith Wall Hanging crochet pattern by Haven Crochet Designs
- Caron One Pound yarn (this is a thicker #4 worsted weight yarn; 454g/16oz, 742m/812yds per ball)
- Main Color (Medium Grey Mix) – approx. 228 yds
- Contrast Color (Sunflower) – approx. 87 yds
- 5mm crochet hook
- Yarn needle
- (1) 3/16” x 18” wood dowel
- (1) 3/8” x 24” wood dowel
- Blocking mat, pins, spray bottle with water
The finished project measures approximately 19” x 19” (without top dowel).
- Feel free to use a 4mm crochet hook if you wish the end product to be a bit smaller. Using a smaller crochet hook is a good alternative for tapestry crochet beginners.
- If you follow the pattern instructions as it is, you can easily convert the wall hanging into a pillow case by crocheting a back panel and stitching the two panels together. It should fit a 20″ x 20″ pillow insert without a problem.
This pattern and associated images are copyright protected and the sole property of Haven Crochet Designs. The pattern is for personal use only and may not be redistributed, transferred, or sold. Please do not alter the pattern in order to claim it as your own. Items produced from my patterns may be sold at your discretion. However, I kindly ask that you credit me as the designer and provide a link back to my site www.havencrohetdesigns.com, or provide my social media handle @havencrochetdesigns. For more details, see Terms and Conditions.